Blackford Beauty Cushion

In spite of a very busy non-quilting agenda at the moment, The Blackford Beauty cushion in Christmas colours for my mother is finished (in time for Christmas!!) and has been posted off, suitably wrapped.

The finished Blackford Beauty cushion.

The finished Blackford Beauty cushion.

A detail of a corner of the Blackfor Beauty cushion, showing the quilting in the border.

A detail of a corner of the Blackford Beauty cushion, showing the quilting in the border.

The top is pieced from left over Jelly Roll strips, apart from the borders. I machine quilted the cushion top in the ditch around each of the blocks and along the points of the chevrons, corner sqaures and centre triangles to stabilize it (in green and red Gutermann cotton), and then accentuated the star pattern in the middle of the quilt by outline quilting around the star in red 1/4″  from the seam lines. I repeated this quilting in the border and also at the outside edges of the chevrons. I felt that there wasn’t quite enough quilting in the green areas, so I quilted a cross shape in the middle square with YLI quilting thread. You can see the quilting lines in this photo of the back of the top, before the lining went in.

An overview of th quilting from the back, before lining.

An overview of the quilting from the back, before lining.

The back of the cushion cover has an opening in the middle, to insert the pad, and fastens with Velcro. I used a tip I read in Better Homes and Gardens Quilts & More magazine, and made the back of the cushion out of a double layer of fabric. Each half of the back is a double layer, with the folded edge of each half meeting and overlapping in the middle.  This not only means that the back of the cover is a bit firmer and so more in keeping with the weight of quilted front (leading to a less cushion-back sag!) , but it also  means that it is possible to attach the velcro without the stitching being visible on the outside of the cover. It’s a little difficult to see on the photo because the back is dark green, but if you look carefully you will see there is a line of top-stitching  and nothing else visible. I’ve blurred out the personal message on the label. And there is a lot less hemming to do, so it’s also nice and quick. Well worth the extra fabric! Once I had sewn the back to the front, I then finished the edges with my serger, turned the whole thing right side out and popped in the cushion pad.

The back of the cushion, with label and double-layer back with invisible fastening.

The back of the cushion, with label and double-layer back with invisible fastening.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s