Reproduction Gypsy Wife: Quilt-Along Project, Week 5

This week’s block is called Crazy Ann, and one suspects not without reason! I guess it sent poor Ann crazy, and that was probably on account of the four-armed star shape.

The Crazy Ann block

The Crazy Ann block

In principle the block is not that complicated, but cutting the triangles that are sewn together to make the rectangles (fabrics AA and Z on the block diagram) requires a bit of concentration. Because one is cutting a rectangle instead of a square on the diagonal, the cuts have a ‘right’ and a ‘wrong’ direction. If you don’t want to end up cutting twice as many triangles as you need, so as to get four pointing in the same direction for the star shape, then it is important to slice both colours of the initial rectangles (that when cut diagonally each produce two triangles) from top left to bottom right or vice versa. If you cut the colours differently (so one from top left to bottom right, the other from top right to bottom left) and try to sew them together, you’ll get a weird sort of rhomboid thing instead of a rectangle. So I had a bit of think about this before applying my rotary cutter, to make sure I got it right first time. Try it with two rectangles cut from different coloured pieces of paper and you’ll see that it works. Top left to bottom right produces a dark and light division the same as the block diagram.

In the original quilt, Jen Kingwell used 15 different fabrics for this block. I decided that that didn’t really fit my Civil War Reproduction look, so I chose 6 fabrics for the block, going this week with blue and yellow with a touch of red. The fabrics are a combination of Judie’s Album by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Brothers Fabrics and Civil War Times by Erin Turner for Penny Rose Fabrics.

The fabric choices for Crazy Ann

The fabric choices for Crazy Ann

Then I cut out the shapes and laid everything out to see if I had what I wanted. (And to be certain my triangles were okay!)

The patches ready for sewing.

The patches ready for sewing.

The I sewed the corner patches and the star patches into units. The rectangular patches produced very long dog ears!

The patches ready for sewing into rows. Dog ears yet to be trimmed!

The patches ready for sewing into rows. Dog ears yet to be trimmed!

And then I sewed the three rows together and my Crazy Ann block was complete and I managed to make it without it driving me crazy, although I almost sewed the third row on upside down, which would have had the broad bit of the yellow triangle in the centre, but almost isn’t quite, as they say.

The completed Crazy Ann block.

The completed Crazy Ann block.

So now there are five blocks finished, as you can see in the cross-hatched photo below. Next week is a Star Block.

Progress week 5.

Progress at the end of week 5. Yellow blocks are complete.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s