Twelve times 12″ x 12″: August Quilt Reveal

Another series that you might think has gone the way of the quilting UFO is my Twelve x 12″ x 12″ project, but here again the willingness is there, the time lacking. However, the August quilt (I know, I know), is now complete.

For August I decided to do a house block, as it was in August a few years ago that we ‘found’ our current lovely house (where for the first time I have a dedicated quilting studio), and that makes the month a bit special. I have a lot of patterns for house and schoolhouse blocks in various books and magazines, but decided to go for the house from the Country Threads pattern ‘Lessons Learned’ (this pattern is also in their Civil War Remembered book, published by Martingale) because the individual house block finished at 8″ so I could add a 2″ border and have my 12″ block. And also because our house, although three stories tall, has something of the same dumpy appearance of the house in the block….

Versie 2

The Lessons Learned pattern from Country Threads. One house block as the pattern for this month’s mini quilt.

 

Our house is red brick, with green trimmings, so I chose a brick red fabric for the house, green for the windows and accents in the border, and two different dark blues for the background and the borders. I decied  to go for a country look (we live in the country) and all florals. Most of the fabrics were by Kansas Troubles for Moda, and I already had them in my stash. For the batik border I choose a deep rich yellow with a small check, that highlighted the yellow flowers in the dark blue fabrics.

Versie 2

The fabric selection for the quilt front.

For the back I chose another brick red floral, the compliment of the large flowered green in the borders.

Versie 2

The quilt backing. A rustier red in real life than in the photo!

The house block used templates made of freezer paper for the roof shapes: this was the first time I had used freezer paper like this (ironed on to the right side of the fabric, as a guide for cutting and piecing) and I have so say it worked really well and the house went together in a flash. Thank you Connie and Mary!

Versie 3

The cut out block patches, including the freezer paper templates on the roof sections.

So in next to no time I had this:

Versie 2

The pieced house.

Then I added the borders. I fussy cut the cornerstones, so that I had a flower centred in each one.

Versie 2

The house with added borders.

I decided to do a bit of ‘constructive’ quilting on the house, to give the impressions of tiles on the roof and rows of bricks, and curtains at the windows. So I marked a clamshell pattern on the roof to suggest tiles, horizontal stripes on the walls and diamonds in the windows. I used a Fons & Porter white chalk pencil for the marking, as my experience it that any marks left at the end of the quilting can be easily removed with a few swipes of a fabric eraser.

Versie 2

Quilting patterns drawn on with white chalk.

To mark the clamshells I used a small round June Tailor template, and traced half a circle every time.

Versie 2

The clamshell ’tile’ pattern.

Then I layered the quilt up with Hobbs cotton batting and the backing, and got quilting.

Versie 2

The quilt sandwich, ready for quilting.

I used a combination of Gutermann and YLI cotton threads (50 weight) for the quilting. First of all I stitched in-the-ditch around all the house and border elements to stabilise the top, then I quilted the house. I used a matching thread on the house and the windows, so that the quilting gives subtle texture without dominating what you see: red for the house, green for the windows.

Versie 2

Quilted in-the-ditch and roof and walls. Windows still to come.

Once I had quilted the house I started thinking about what to use as a border pattern. Our house has two oaks trees at the front (one on each side of the property) so I decided to use a pattern of oak leaves. 

Versie 2

The freezer paper oak leaf templates.

I traced an oak leaf and then used the tracing to make a freezer paper template, and two reversed. (Once you’ve learned a new technique, use it!). Then I ironed them to the blue border and traced around them with the chalk pencil. I peeled them off and repeated the same step for each border.

Versie 2

Oak leaves ready for quilting.

Then I quilted them with a blue-green variegated thread to give them a bit more ‘pop’. After that, I added the double-fold batik binding, a hanging sleeve and a label on the back. The yellow batik is a deeper yellow in real-life than it appears on the photo.

Versie 2

The finished quilt from the front: oak leaves, binding and all.

On the back, I added little wooden house and fence buttons (that I bought at a quilt show last year, just because I liked them) to the label, with two little hearts (symbolising me and my husband) above. Home is where the heart is.

Versie 2

The quilt back. Some of the information on the label has been erased in the photo.

And then it was time to hang the quilt on the stand in our entryway. 

Versie 2

The finished August quilt.

Just as well the colours match our Christmas decor! I have already started on the September quilt. Think harvest….More to follow.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s