Melon Patch Scraps Cushion

As I explained in my previous post, when I made my Melon Patch bedrunner, that also produced 36 bonus HSTs.  I planned to use them to make a cushion/pillow cover to coordinate with the bed runner.

MP 5

A bonus HST (lower left) from a melon patch block

We have a nice rectangular cushion that we use on the bed, that has a cover with a Dutch/Scandinavian (the styles are very similar) Christmas design on it, but that is not quite so suitable for the rest of the year!

MPC 1

The Christmas themed cushion cover

The cover zips off the pillow form, so it was easy to make a replacement cover. The cover needed to be 24″ x 15″ to fit the pillow form.

I had 36 bonus HST’s from the bed runner, each 4″ cut size. I calculated that if I trimmed them down to 3 1/2″ inches cut size, then I would need 40 HSTs to make the cushion top. So I made myself four extra HSTs in pink and blue, from the leftover fabrics of the bed runner. I made them scrappy, so that no one pink or blue fabric would dominate.

Blue is the dominant colour in the bed runner, so I wanted to emphasise the pink in the cushion: as the cushion is 50/50 pink and blue, that would depend on the layout. I played about with the possibilities and came up with  a design I liked.

MPC design

My design for the cushion cover top

I trimmed all the HSTs (the advantage of trimming them a little smaller was also that they were then all perfectly square!) and played around with the patches to fine tune the layout. I didn’t want two patches the same adjacent along a patch edge and I wanted to keep my foxes and my bunting the correct way up! I love than some of the foxes are wearing little green striped jerseys!

MPC 3

The HSTs in the correct layout

Then I sewed the rows together to make the top.

MPC 4

The patches sewn together for the top

I layered the top with Hobbs 80/20 batting and used a piece of plain calico (muslin) for the backing, as that would be inside the cover, so no one would see it.

MPC 5

Top layered and ready for basting

Then I thread basted, and pin-basted around the edges to hold everything together.

MPC 6

Thread and pin basting prior to quilting

I machine quilted the top to echo the quilting on the bed runner: I regarded each square made up of four pink or four blue triangles as a unit. I quilted in the ditch with pink variegated thread (Paris from YLI) around all the pink units, to stabilise the top. I used blue variegated thread (Aurifil) for the blue units which I quilted with straight lines 1″ apart, running diagonally. I changed direction for each row: top left to bottom right on the bottom row, top right to bottom left in the middle row and left to right again in the top row. I quilted a square, 1″ in from the edges in the centre of each of the pink units.

MPC 7

Detail of the quilting

I made a double-thickness backing (see my Blackford Beauty post from april 2013 for an explanation of this technique) using the same backing fabric that I used for the bed runner, with an invisible Velcro fastening in the middle, and a label, of course!

MPC 8

The cushion backing

Usually, I would place the right sides of the top and backing together, then sew them on my machine, finish the edges with my serger, and turn the completed cover right-side-out, but this time, I wanted to make the link to the bed runner more obvious, so I decided to bind the cover with the same binding fabric (the pink and blue Kaffe Fassett spots) that I used on the runner, as if it was a quilt.

So I layered the top and the back wrong sides together, and then sewed by machine 1/8″ in from the edge of the top all the way around to join them together.

MPC 9

The top and the back layered wrong side together

Then I trimmed the edges, and stitched a 2″ double fold binding to the front by machine.

MPC 10

The top and back trimmed and ready for attaching the binding

I turned the binding to the back, and secured it with Clover wonder clips.

MPC 11

Cushion cover ready for hand sewing of the binding

Then I sewed the binding to the back by hand. Because of the two extra layers of fabric in the double backing, the edges are thicker than the bed runner was, but the 2″ still covered it easily (although I had to use a lot of clips!), and the binding is nice and full.

MPC 14

Finished! The binding sewn on by hand

Then I gave the cover a quick press.

MPC 13

Completed cover from the front

MPC 15

Completed cushion cover, detail. The pink fabric on the left has glitter in it!

And inserted the pillow form.

MPC 16

Melon Patch Scraps cushion

I think the cushion looks great on the bed together with the co-ordinating bed runner, and having a new cover means I can use the pillow form more often than just around Christmas. And, as a bonus, the cover, both front and back, is almost entirely made of scraps and leftovers from the runner: I only had to add the calico/muslin.

MPC 17

The coordinating cushion and bed runner on our bed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s